Each season, Swifts are found on the ground having fallen from their nest before they are old enough to fly.
Swifts on the ground need your help!.
If you find a Swift on the ground pick it up carefully. Place it in a cardboard box (line the box with some smooth fabric like t-shirt or some kitchen paper and make ventilation holes in the side of the box) and put it in a quiet, warm place.
Once you have done this get advice from :
- Co. Cavan: Caroline van den Berg 087 402 3222
- Co. Louth : Yvette van Schreven Togher/Dunleer 041 685 2753
- Co. Louth : Nicola Carroll, Drogheda Animal Rescue, Monasterboice, Drogheda 086 6076420
- Co. Mayo : Lynda Huxley, Castlebar 083 4809532 or 094 9032422
- Co. Meath : Sophie Hayley, Kells 087 9828992
- List of rehabbers nationwide on www.irishwildlifematters.ie and www.iwra.ie
Below are links to a few documents which give advice on assessing and caring for a swift if you are unable to take it to a rehabber. You can also find detailed advice on this website by swift rehab expert Enric Fusté http://falciotnegre.com.